Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dining room progress

Over the last winter we had most of the house repainted inside and this included the dining room. It started a neutral taupe when we moved in and we quickly changed it to a bright merlot. I never truly loved this color nor the furniture we bought for our first Thanksgiving. So...the dining set was sold and the room pained with tall wainscoting applied throughout! Such an amazing difference already! I am working on the details but here are pictures throughout the progress along with some inspiration of the little things that will complete the room!

Here is what the dining room liked like after we moved in...boring!

Then we painted part of the wall merlot and put up a chair rail.


Then we added furniture, a mirror and drapes (not my style at all, anymore!) I think it looks lovely and did love it for a few years...but then our style changed and this very traditional room just wasn't fitting our more modern taste.

So we decided, out with red and gold and in with a more modern blue/gray, tall wainscoting and modern drapes. Out with the old furniture and in with the new! I love our Pottery Barn table and am still searching for the perfect chairs. I have some good contenders just trying to make sure I know exactly what I want so we don't do this again in a few years. Oh, and we also changed the chandelier...twice! 

Here is the process of adding the wainscoting.

The new paint color and painted wainscoting.

The table I have been eyeing for some time is ours!


The new chandelier and drapes help the room!


The side cabinet is getting painted a yellow and I am tempted to add fabric to the doors to make them even more modern. (my husband is going to put a flat board trim around the carved areas on the table to make it look not so traditional).



Here is the type of chair I really like. I am also flirting with the idea of putting a bench on one side of the table to change it up a little instead of only having chairs.



As for the walls, I am going to frame in either 12x12 or 14x14 white wood frames these fabrics. 



Here is the wall for framed fabrics. ( I am going to move the table over to the other wall)

For the other wall I am going to try my hand at some painting on canvas. I love the print below and would like to create something similar to it!

via

So what do you think? Any ideas or suggestions to help us complete this ever changing dining room?

I will post an update on my little projects get completed!

No comments: